The Duchy’s farming community is getting ready to celebrate its agricultural heroes with the Cornwall Farm Business Awards taking place at the end of the month.
Sponsored by Coodes Solicitors and organised by farming charity the Addington Fund, the awards on Thursday, February 27 celebrate the important role of farmers and food suppliers in contributing to the economy of Cornwall.
The event at the Pavilion Centre, Royal Cornwall Showground will feature a keynote speech from Heather Jenkins, director of buying for meat and dairy at supermarket chain Waitrose. Jenkins is also responsible for setting Waitrose’s agricultural strategy and establishing a dedicated supply chain by working with farms.
Pam Johns, partner and head of agriculture at Coodes Solictors, said: “We are proud supporters of the Cornwall Farm Business Awards, which is now in its fifth year. Farming and food production is the lifeblood of this county, and these awards highlight our diverse, colourful and thriving agricultural industry.”
Ian Bell, fund director Addington Fund said: ” The current adverse weather conditions are even more reason to celebrate the resilience of Cornwall’s farming business community and we should all perhaps consider how much we rely on them for our staple diet.”
Award categories are:
- Best Commercial Farmer sponsored by Hodgsons
- Best Dairy Farmer sponsored by Rodda’s
- Best Farm Diversification sponsored by Chesterton Humberts & AMC
- Best Farm Processor sponsored by Cornwall Agri-Food Council
- Best Woman in Farming sponsored by Worldwide Financial Planning
- Best Young Farmer sponsored by Francis Clark
- Best Farming Champion sponsored by NFU Mutual
The shortlist is yet to be announced, for more information go to www.addingtonfund.co.uk