We have a number of options that you can use to cover our charges and to enable you to keep control of your legal expenses:
- Fixed price consultation for a price of £150 plus VAT for a one hour meeting
- Fixed and staged prices to cover specific steps depending on the amount of work that is needed
- Legal expenses may be covered by your personal insurance policies. You can make a claim and ask your insurer to cover our charges
- Damages based agreements for claims made to a Tribunal whereby you only pay our charges if you are successful.
The provision of advice and representation to employees in relation to the bringing of claims before the Employment Tribunal against an employer for unfair or wrongful dismissal
- We charge £3,000 – £5,000 + VAT on average for this work where you are paying your legal costs on an hourly basis for a claim which proceeds to include a final hearing. This estimate is just an average price based on recent instructions; the actual cost to you will depend on a number of factors which we will discuss with you if you decide to instruct us.
- The charge is based on an average of our usual hourly charging-rates of between £110.00 to £280.00 per hour.
- We may use damages-based agreements (commonly known as no win no fee agreements), in which case you will be responsible for paying us a third of any sum you recover. If you are unsuccessful you may be required to pay us for the initial advice received prior to the Agreement commencing.
- You may have the benefit of being able to claim under a legal expenses policy which would cover your legal fees.
- There are sometimes additional costs you may have to pay to include for example counsel’s fees and medical expert fees. Depending on the length and complexity of a final hearing counsel’s fees would likely be between £750 – £2,000 plus VAT. The instruction of counsel may reduce the fee you would pay to us. Medical expert fees will vary from case to case but the range of £200 to £2,000 can be expected depending on the expert used and what they are being asked to assess.
- In most Employment Tribunal cases legal costs are not recoverable from the other party irrespective of the outcome.
- Our fees are calculated only for wrongful and unfair dismissal claims and should your claim include other heads of claim (for example discrimination), we reserve the right to charge you additional sums depending on the circumstances.
- We will advise you if you should consider claiming your costs from a third party for example a trade union.
We understand the stress and urgency involved in dealing with employment matters. Below are examples of the likely different stages:
- Initial advice and assessment;
- Pre-action work to include pre-claim conciliation;
- Negotiating settlement;
- Disclosure and bundle preparation;
- Advocacy at a final hearing or the instruction of counsel where necessary;
- Witness statements;
- Preparing a Schedule of Loss;
- Issuing proceedings;
- Initial advice and assessment.
Please contact us if you wish to discuss this further.
If you wish to find out more about the process please look at the “Employment Tribunal – process” on the top left of this page.